Questions to get the conversation started.
If you decide to make an appointment with your OB-GYN to discuss whether you might be a candidate for UFE, please view the list of questions provided below. The questions will help you to better understand the fibroid treatment options available to you.
Questions about fibroid treatments:
- How do you typically treat symptomatic fibroids? What are the risks and benefits of each of these treatments?
- What are surgical and less invasive options for treating my uterine fibroids? What are the advantages, risks, and benefits of each of these treatments?
- Have all of the necessary diagnostic tests been performed? Trans-vaginal ultrasound or
MRI? Endometrial biopsy? Blood tests? Why or why not?
- If I want to retain my uterus, what alternatives to hysterectomy are available?
Questions about more invasive surgical options:
- Do I need to have surgery? Will my ovaries be removed? If so, why? Will my cervix be removed? If so, why?
- What are the risks associated with surgery?
- Will I experience earlier menopause? Can the symptoms of menopause be treated?
- What are the risks and benefits of treatment(s) for the symptoms of menopause?
- What are the limitations of surgery?
- Will surgery cure my uterine fibroid tumors?
Questions about UFE:
- Do you refer patients for UFE? If not, why?
- How many patients have you referred for UFE and how many have chosen UFE to treat their fibroids?
- Will you refer me to an Interventional Radiologist for a consultation?
Questions for your Interventional Radiologist (IR):
- How would you coordinate my care with my OB-GYN?
- How often is the procedure successful in treating uterine fibroids?
- Are your patients happy with the procedure?
- How often do complications occur? What are typical complications?
- How will I feel during and after the UFE procedure?
- What is the length of the procedure? What is the normal recovery time?
- How long should I expect to stay in the hospital?
- How long should I expect to be away from work?
- What kind of follow-up care is typical and who manages it?
- What typically happens to the fibroids after the blood supply is cut off? Will the fibroids be expelled vaginally or will the procedure simply result in my fibroids shrinking?
- Will my fibroids, or the symptoms of my fibroids, come back?
- Will I still get my periods after having UFE and what will they be like?
- Will my insurance cover UFE?
- Can you help me determine if I am a candidate for UFE and when can we schedule the procedure?